Fit Bit - A Little Broken!

Sorry for my absence! Things have been rather chaotic around here lately. I took a long period off of work. I had so many leave days, I needed to take a long time off work so I wouldn't lose out on them.

I ended up taking a little over two weeks off...I'm not going to lie. It was amazing.


The first trip I made was home to Indiana. I went to the Indiana State Fair with my family. I literally ate myself sick of all the yummy fair food (that is TERRIBLE for you, yet so delicious). I had rounds of sweet corn on the cob, elephant ears, salted caramels, and salt water taffy....yum.


And then there were all of the farm animals. I think I dragged my family around to all of them because we don't have cows in DC. Cows, sheep, and pigs are not a common occurrence for me anymore. I now get excited to see farm animals that remind me of home!


I did meet an awesome llama named "Pongo." He really liked me...but I think he just liked my hair. He spent more time staring at my hair than my face...maybe he sees something in common with my lion's mane? 

(By the way, I checked...there were no llamas named, "Tina.")


My last week was a vacation to "nowhere" or also called a "stay-cation." I thought I was going to get sooo much rest, but I spend a lot of my vacation busy practicing golf and playing around.


I was really excited to try Spanish Web. I was supposed to try a rope class, but I switched with my friend Anna. I really loved this class....it is so graceful and pretty. There are two people in this act: a spinner and a flyer. While some get a little sea sick from the spinning, I was happy the spinning didn't bother me. I have another Spanish Web class next week and I'm super excited for round two!

A message painted on one of the Urban Evo walls...how great is this quote!?!
I also started going to a gym called Urban Evolution. They offer Parkour, UrbanFit (functional fitness classes similar to CrossFit), Free Running, Breakdancing, Gymnastics and Aerial Silks. The gym membership itself is a pretty good deal so I bought a membership to give it a try. I liked the Aerial Silks for overall conditioning, but I think I prefer Static Trapeze and Spanish Web at TSNY-DC. I did really love the Parkour classes....I feel like a little kid jumping around on a playground. My legs were nice and sore after a few classes so I definitely got a great lower body workout out of it. So far, the classes have been great and I think I might keep my membership!


This have been really busy at work....getting back to the grind. I had my last class with Andrew in Static Trapeze. He's moving on to bigger and better things so we will all miss what an asset he was! Since it was Andrew's last class, I came really early to ensure I was nice and stretched. I was stretching for over 20 minutes and was in my splits several times. So happy that I finally got down to my full splits (I am NOT flexible AT ALL so this has been a challenge), I went down in them one more time to show Andrew my progress. I heard a pop and felt a snap right away and knew that wasn't good. I had pain, but it wasn't intense pain so I did my class anyways (not a great idea and I don't recommend it). I guess I was more hurt than I thought, because I woke up in terrible pain. I thought it was my hamstring that pulled before class but ruled it out because I didn't have excruciating pain immediately. I went to medical yesterday morning and yes...it's a pulled hamstring. I got a day of bed rest, lots of drugs, and a follow up next week.  I don't think it is torn. I have been watching it, and I don't have the rigid bruising yet. My pain has already started to go down...which is good. My doctor said my pain would be constant if it ends up being torn.

 Blaah...what a way to end the week! I'm currently stuck in bed with nowhere to go! I'm going to take it easy and slow down on some of my more "extreme" activities like Parkour and Aerial. Until then...I'll be here...broken :(



No comments:

Post a Comment